previous next index

September 12, 2001
two years ago
three years ago
four years ago

Life Goes On

9:33 pm: A fairly normal day today. In fact, I started it off pretty well. Jet only got up once again last night, and slept, again, until a bit before seven in the morning, at which time he started to play with his music box and wrestled with the stuffed bear that Rick and Carla gave him. At seven John brought him down to feed while John showered and got himself and the kitchen cleaned up and ready to go. I went back to sleep for twenty minutes that felt really, really good, and then got up and had blueberry yogurt and a blueberry bagel (instead of a blueberry scone or blueberry waffles, is this a theme, anyone?) for breakfast. Then I fed Jet again before he went to Joan's.

John and Jet went off to Joan's and left me the house to myself. This time I didn't have a book that was eating my brain, the way I did the last two weeks, so I actually got organized and went to the little coffee shop in Erie with my insulated mug. Yay!

It turns out that not only does the shop carry science fiction and fantasy (which is what the top shelf was labeled when I was doing the quick look around), but they also have a single shelf of mysteries, a single shelf of romances, and a single shelf of miscellaneous stuff as well. There's a whole rack of audio books, and some old, used magazines as well. The selection of books is not great, but there are a few books, all in all. That was mildly sad. I'd been hoping, with the sign, that that was the whole bookcase, but, no, it's just the shelf. Ah well.

The mocha I got there, though, was piping hot. I actually was able to fill the Passat with diesel and get all the way to work and the drink was still good and hot to drink.

My meetings went normally, though I was having to write everything down in a notebook with my Visor dead and gone. That was mildly odd, but nice to be able to draw pictures again. Lunch was KT's with lots of talk about concealed carry permits, airplane construction (a co-worker is making a plane in his basement), and power tools. It was so nice to get some relief from all the emotional things going on about the whole terrorist thing.

Of course I had to come home, get Jet, go right into a meeting, which was pretty good. Then Jet and I played for a while.

When I carry Jet in my arms he's gotten a new play tactic of latching onto my chin if it's within reach. He'll latch on and stare up into my eyes for a while and if I stare back he will eventually start to crack up. He'll just start laughing while still latched onto my chin. He'll crack up a whole lot sooner if I lick the tip of his nose, which, of course, gets me to crack up too.

Okay, so we're both crazy, but it sure is funny to us!

I made the mistake of watching TV while nursing Jet later on in the afternoon, and just got kind of livid at the idea that three clips of relatively small groups of people on the West Back were being used to portray the reactions of all Arabs and all Islamic people. Okay, so some cameraman got to a party of people to react stupidly for them. How often does that happen in the U.S. after a big sports event? Do I hear every time?

The U.S. media is, once again, objectifying an entire segment of human beings because it's a hell of a lot easier to just hate everything that one *wants* to be connected than to actually do the work and diligence of finding substantiated data and facts about what happened. So much easier to just fan the flames of speculation and wild stupidity and hate than to objectively report what is real. Sometimes I just so hate TV. Especially when it make normally rational people totally stupid because of the way things are presented. I hate it when people don't question what they see on TV, or how it was made. I also hated Bush's speeches, but then I don't know if that was because they really were as hateful as I felt or if it's just 'cause I dislike him. I turned on the radio instead, and got to hear Colin Powell's speech and felt just a little bit better. Also, some net folks pointed me at some more rational articles.

John got home a little early, after picking up diaper bags and some extra diapers. The diaper service has picked up early for Labor Day and were incredulous about our need for more diapers when they'd just delivered the number of diapers they'd picked up for the short week. They'd also forgotten to give us a diaper bag and since we'd also given up our extra one when we swapped over to the bigger diapers, we were totally without. Diapers, when stuck in plastic bags, tend to mold. It's much better when they're in a cloth bag that can dry out a bit. Jet's still going through 80 a week, eventhough we put him in an overnight disposable at night. It's still pretty amazing to me just how many diapers a baby goes through.

Then we had an exercise of suspending disbelief.

Take two copper wires of about twenty inches in length. Bend them at the halfway mark to an angle just a little bit more acute than a right angle. Hold one in each fist, not too tightly, so they can turn, but not too loose, so that they don't just flop around. Point them down a bit so that the weight will tend to keep them forward, and then walk around.

John and I did the above, and where the wires swung back, crossing, we would put a flag. The wires do swing, and they swing in concert, and when we were done, each of us doing it in both directions, usually perpendicular to a possible line, the flags marched neatly along in a row. We think we've marked two power lines that are buried in our yard going to the horse barn. Yeah. We were witching for power lines and water lines, and we were getting reproduceble results between the two of us. It was mildly eerie watching the wires swing together over exactly the same spot of ground for John as they were for me, even when we had our eyes closed and couldn't see where the flags were from what the other person had been marking.

We were doing this over John's new garage site, hoping we'd get some data on what we might be able to mark so that the contractor wouldn't dig into the semi-random lines the previous owner of our house had laid himself with a big back hoe. He'd dug a really big trench from the house to the barn and laid almost a snake of a line from the house to the barn. It ran straight for part of it, took a bit of a looping curve to the house. And that's pretty much what the witching wires marked. Given that there's a magnetic field over most power lines, I could say that the copper wires were simply picking that up and leave disbelief for some other time. That the witching wires also picked up the cable wire is something I can't explain, nor the fact that they also crossed over the culvert under the driveway is something I also am going to conveniently ignore.

We'll have a guy out with a deep metal detector as well, the flags are just for him to know where to at least start looking for a few things. It was just a rather amazing and fun experiment. John's dad, who is also an engineer, swears that it works for finding water, too, so we'll have to try that sometime.

John was a dear and asked if I wanted to go to Deli Ciosos for dinner. I really wanted to, and we brought along some food for Jet. So while we were waiting for our order I fed Jet solids. He ate them happily in the huge high chair they had there. Jet seemed to like being able to eat there, too, and I think that giving him his own food was much better than trying to feed him nibbles of our food. They had a Wednesday special of soft flautas, filled with machaca and smothered in green chile sauce, and it was really good. The beef was savory and tender, the corn tortilla lent body and smoothness and the chile sauce was very tasty. Beans and rice rounded out the meal.

I nursed Jet when we got back. Then I got to write and listen to Jet and John playing. Then we gave Jet his last feeding and I got to write a bit before Kathy called and we talked for a good long while about everything that happened yesterday, the reactions from people, and all kinds of stuff that felt good to talk about. She's definitely flying out for Thanksgiving and we're going to fly out to San Diego for Christmas. I should probably make plans for Orycon soon, too. Do our part of trying to simply live the way we used to live, I guess.

We talked about blood donations, as she's never done one and wanted to know what to expect, and we both agreed that in a week or two it would both be less crowded and possibly even more urgent that there be blood. Also talked about the really great Amazon link to donate money to the Red Cross because the Red Cross' site is too overwhelmed to take donations. I'm glad Amazon's mighty web capabilities are being lent to this cause. This is a really great usage of their abilities. It was good to talk to her, as she's kind of lost in a bastion of conservatism since San Diego is mostly a military town. Nuke 'em all to glass kinds of stuff and she just couldn't take it any more. I can see why.

I think I liked Powell's speech so much because he was very firm about squashing all the rampant speculation by the press. He was very, very deliberate about the fact that they were gathering a body of evidence that would be solid before they acted. When they acted it would be in accordance to what was found. It gave me some hope that there were heads that were really contemplating all the consequences in the places that mattered

[ Previous | Next | Index | Mail ]

Copyright 2001 Liralen Li. All Rights Reserved.