previous next index

August 20, 2001
a year ago
two years ago
three years ago
four years ago

Rick and Carla

5:39 pm: I'm stuck in a meeting that's going far past what I thought it would be going. Bah.

Today's been a grey day. Which has been a good change from the weekend. Jet did really well last night, only getting up three times, and once putting himself back to sleep. That was very welcome from us. He also kicked and twisted and shouted in the feeding before and after going to Joan's, so he might not be as hungry as he has been for a while. That's very good.

My two hours were pretty uneventful, other than discovering a note from Rick asking if they could have lunch with us. He'd sent it Friday, and I hadn't seen it until today. I didn't really know exactly what they were doing, but said that we weren't going to be able to make it to DIA, but if they dropped by it would be fine. But they hadn't called when it was noon. Our lunch was pizzas, and while they were in the oven, they called!

They really were passing through, so we invited them over. We ate our lunch, and enjoyed them. Jet watched from his high chair, and eventually got some oatmeal himself. Then they arrived, and Carla had a great time holding Jet and playing with him. Jet was fascinated by Carla's hair and by Rick's glasses. He kept grabbing at both of them. He loved being held by them, and, when he was on the floor, really loved playing with Carla's blue toenails. They were painted with glitter polish, and he found them really fascinating when they moved.

Carla was really glad to have seen Jet. Rick was amused by how much more capable Jet was with his hands. That was pretty fun.

When they left, Jet got really fussy, so I nursed him and he passed out for a nap. He woke up just before I had to leave for work, and John managed to get him put back down, as Jet was cranky and still pretty tired.

So now I'm at work and meetings like this that just keep drawing out further really suck.

8:09 pm: The initial meeting was a big video presentation from marketing, the system coordinating committee, and the folks involved in building everything and it was pretty much about what everyone wanted out of this release. From each perspective we got a presentation about what they wanted to get done this year's release. They gave goals, priorities, and what the main reason was for what they wanted.

The marketing presentation was really great. It was by the guy that's the boss of the marketing guy in our group, and he really had a plan and a good set of reasons for what it was he wanted from all the applications and tools as a whole. He had good, solid market reasons for what he wanted, ways to gain market share and do stuff that our competition hadn't addressed, yet. I was very impressed by the whole thing, and really glad that he'd done it because it really gave me good reasons behind all the things I was having to do. Especially since our application was pretty much number one on his list, as we're the one that's supposed to present his objectives to the user. I was pretty happy with getting all the information in one place and at one time.

The rest of it was something of a waste. Partially because I'd heard about most of it before, and mostly because I was tired and not really wanting to be in meetings that weren't giving me things I didn't know and needed to do my job better. That really irked me The Q&A was okay, and the group meeting afterwards was much less productive, especially since, for us in Colorado, the meeting started at five and ran until six.

When we finally got out, I called John to tell him I was coming home, and he was glad that I called so he could plan on when dinner should be ready. Kit used to say she really needed a wife, and now I know what she meant. It was so cool to have John just do all that without any asking by me. All I'd done was, before leaving, say that it would be really cool to eat the leftover taco salad for dinner tonight. It was definitely something in John's repertoire, so he was pleased.

On the way home I stopped at Munsen's and got a few peaches. They said they were getting more on Wednesday, so the ones that were left were pretty ripe and really picked over. So there weren't all that many pretty peaches. I just tried to find ones that didn't have big soft spots or uck on the stem areas and stuff like that. Not too beat up. They were pretty soft, so they were likely as ripe as they were going to get, so they'd hold us until the new batch came in.

We're now going through ripe summer peaches pretty quickly. Their luciousness is wonderful at breakfast or for dessert for lunch or dinner. They're honey sweet, dripping with juice and have that soft, melting texture that only really ripe fruit can have. I have to eat 'em over the sink they drip so much. It's wonderful. I can never get enough of them when they're in season, and the full experience of them never really translates when frozen or canned. Though peach jam is still one of my favorite things. At three dollars a pound, however, they're a bit too expensive for me to want to sugar 'em and put them away for later. I also got a cantaloupe that felt really ripe, and then booked on home.

Jet as asleep when I got home. John also had a few boxes of baked ginger snaps. He'd made the dough, yesterday from the How To Cook Everything cook book, while I was making lasagna, and rolled the dough up in wax paper and put the rolls in the fridge to firm up overnight. Today he sliced the dough thin and baked the slices. When I got home, he handed me a crisp-edged brown disk. I bit into it.

It was crunchy on the edges, tender in the center, and the center stuck gently to my teeth. The flavor was dusky with molasses and sharp with ginger. They were perfect ginger snaps. They weren't too sweet, either, which is a good plus. I was amused to find, in Laurel's Kitchen that blackstrap molasses is a very good source of iron, better than spinach, liver, or a lot of the foods I'd always been told were rich in iron. So these cookies had a fair bit of molasses in them, and they might be a very mild iron supplement. Quite a yummy way to deal with any anemia I might have kept from the birth.

I really like having a husband who can bake.

We decided to wait on dinner until Jet woke up and ate. It only took twenty minutes for him to get the nap he wanted, and right on the dot of a half hour nap, he woke up yelling. I got him and cuddled him and then fed him. He wasn't that peaceful about eating, partially because the house had cooled down considerably. With the coolness, Jet was far more active than usual. He was soon kicking and pulling and wiggling. He did stay still enough to drink the first letdown on each side, but when he was done with that he was done. I sat him up and he proceeded to spit up big. <sigh>

I cleaned things up, changed his diaper, and then we had dinner. I put him in his saucer to start, gut he really protested until he got put in his high chair. There he happily played with his sippy cup and Cheerios box while we ate. I think he likes joining us for meals. He was really happy and just played and played and when I paid attention to him he laughed and laughed.

When we were done, we went on our walk. This time going all the way down to the next dead end, and walked along there, peering at a house what was being constructed by its owner from tongue and groove boards that were a couple inches thick and made from five layers of wood that were alternating so that they fit against each other. The house looked like I would have thought a life sized Lincoln Log house would have looked with logs that were flattened a bit along the sides that were out to the world. It was pretty cool construction.

The sky was just filled with really angry looking clouds. Some weatherman said that this week is going to be a wet one, and I was pretty glad of it. Though on the way to work, as I drove through a thunderstorm, I saw some of the Boulder residents commuting by bike. I thought to myself, man, it's got to be disconcerting to be riding in a storm and seeing lightning strikes in all directions. To be sitting out on a metal frame on what is essentially a clear and flat surface, getting wetter and wetter while there's honking huge bolts of electricity raining down as well has got to be toe curling. I was having a nervous enough time of it with a ton or two of steel and glass wrapped around me.

Luckily, while we were walking it was windy, but it wasn't raining or thundering at all. It was just really pretty and we could see the clouds that were headed our way.

Jet loved it. He also had his sippy cup for a play thing. We'd put it in his cup holder, and he was picking it up and pitching it over the side. Not on purpose, it was mostly him losing his grip on it or whatever, but we'd hear the distinctive clunk of the plastic cup hitting the road, and then it would appear from under the stroller. Then there was a time when we heard the clunk and then there was suddenly a bunch of rattles and then the sliding rasp of the cup being dragged by locked wheels against the asphalt. I laughed so hard my gut hurt. Jet looked at me, surprised, but delighted by my mood and he laughed with me.

When we got back home, the opened house was filled with cool air. That was so nice. Jet was cheerful and happy and played intensely with John. He was really happy. Then, at 8:15, he started getting fussier and fussier until at 8:35, John said that he didn't think he could stall Jet the last ten minutes until his final feeding. So I took Jet, and we played a little, and then I took him to sit in front of the mirror in the bathroom off the laundry room.

The mirror in that room is fixed to the wall so there's no way Jet could pull on it and break the mirror in any way. Instead, he just sat in front of it and played with the little boy in the mirror, who was an expert at doing everything he was doing. Jet had a blast bouncing, yelling, and waving his arms around. He watched the other baby intently for quite a while, delighting in someone that was as energetic as he was, and who did all the cool things back.

Eventually, though, he got tired of that, and started to reach for the shiny water knobs. The closest one to him was the hot, which reminded me to ask John to turn down the heat on the hot water to whatever the recommended temperature was for having a baby in the house. It turns out to be 120 degrees, which pretty much precludes scalding even if just the hot water tap is turned on. Then, of course, when I refused to let Jet play with the spigot, he turned the other way and tried to get tiny fingers into the wall socket right next to him.

I had always wondered why there were socket covers for electrical outlets. Now I know why. Those tiny fingers could fit, just fine, into those sockets! That surprised me, mildly. I hadn't though of it that way before and had no clue why a baby would want to poke at something as uninteresting as a socket. Apparently they're baby magnets. Or something. I hastily pulled him away from that as well and took him into the livingroom, where we played Toss the Baby Into The Air and Catch Him Again. Thank goodness for the splint. So much safer than sockets.

I'm also very glad that he's not mobile, yet. There will be a day when he is and I'm going to have to be right on top of him for a while, to make sure that whatever we do to babyproof the house is actually Jet-proof as well. I can just see him carefully pulling the cover to the socket off the socket and then sticking his finger in. What does someone do with the sockets that are being used? Power cords and plugs are probably the first place where a baby learns what the word, 'No.' means.

Finally, I got to feed him, and he was a squirming, kicking mass of baby, trying to get a toehold on my other boob with his foot, at first. Then he was arching and just screaming. When I bounced him I heard the characteristic after-thump of a bubble in his gut. I bounced him some, and finally resorted to picking him up and bouncing with him against my shoulder. A few minutes of that and I finally got the burp out. He quieted after that and ate steadily with the uncomfortable gas finally gone.

I remember when Jet was only a month or two old and wondering why all this burping the baby was such a huge deal. When he was that small he didn't get that much air into him and burps were small, decorous and neat. Now Jet spits up huge splats of goo when he burps, more often than not, and when he can't burp he goes wild with pain over the pressure. So now I know. The things one learns with time and experience.

John tried to give him some formula and Jet uncategorically refused it. He then passed out enough that John changed his diaper and his clothing without a single peep from him. So we'll see how tonight goes. He fought the early part of it all pretty hard, but putting him to sleep was easy. We'll get to see what kind of night that augers.

My wrist is now feeling so good, I'm moving down to the three pills a day dosage on the anti-inflammatory. It's easier to not have to eat something in the middle of the night, but Jet waking me up made it pretty easy to do on time. I'm probably going to stay with that for the week with the splint and make sure the wrist is completely healed before giving it all up at once, the way the doctor said I should.

It's good to know, however, that it is feeling better. Whew.

[ Previous | Next | Index | Mail ]

Copyright 2001 Liralen Li. All Rights Reserved.