previous next index

January 15, 2003
a year ago
two years ago
three years ago
four years ago

Prepping Asparagus

9:43 pm: A typical Wednesday, though John made us lattes and mochas instead of going to Cafe Luna, as he had to get in early for an extra meeting. We didn't have the time.

Jet didn't get up until 7. He was up once in the middle of the night, but then was up and down from 4-6, and John went upstairs and slept with him until 7. Jet had gone to sleep so late, I felt he really needed to sleep in a bit. And John agreed and did the useful thing. I was very glad.

I woke up tired. I ached all day, as there was a front blowing through. My knees, hands, and ears ached mildly all day. We went into work. I had my meetings, we all went to the new Indian restaurant on Main in Longmont, they had a very typical buffet, and then we headed home. The buffet was not particularly remarkable. I don't know if I'd go back there. On the way home, John realized we had to get diesel, so we headed towards I-25. And we saw the huge, black clouds of the front bearing down on us from the northeast. Wow. They were huge, and the winds that were whipping them forward were awesome. There was a stop sign flapping in the wind, metal acting as if it were so much cloth. The wires were singing, the traffic lights were dancing, and the incessant boom against the car was so loud I couldn't hear the engine at all. We got the diesel at the freeway stops, and got Jet.

I had my meeting. John had his. I got my second meeting cancelled. I made pork tenderloin marsala. Modern pork is bred so that if you get the right cut and prepare it correctly, it tastes just like chicken. And it did. On rice. With a side of bright green, steamed asparagus (yes, it's unnatural to have asparagus in January) with a squeeze of lemon juice from the lemons from my parents' garden. I need to send Mom and Dad a box to fill with their lemons. The lemon bars were so successful I have to do that again. The juice is so tasty.

Jet broke the ends off of most of the asparagus. He stood with me at the counter while I was prepping things. I was pretty sure he could break the right end off the stalks with a little coaching, and, sure enough, he did it. He was fascinated by the flower end of the stalks, and ate three of them before he started spitting them out, too. He managed to get through about three-quarters of the bunch before getting bored. I was pretty impressed.

It was a good dinner. I had to rush through, it though, as Joan was coming to get me a bit after seven, and I still had to pack all my locker stuff. She arrived right on time, and talked a bit with John. It was cool. We went. We swam. We felt a lot better. I got home, and Jet nearly cried when I said I wasn't going to nurse him. It's only been five days since he lost all his night nursing, and I might have been pushing it a bit to try and cut another one so early.

So I nursed him, and he cuddled in and relaxed and was really happy. He also didn't quite fall asleep. Afterwards, we changed him, got him into his pajamas, and gave him another four ounces of milk to see him through the night. He didn't eat any dinner, and he'd eaten a huge breadstick for lunch with Joan. He slept through their usual lunch time, and during all the meetings this afternoon he'd gotten his vitamin and some potato sticks, himself, but that was about it. Okay, other than the asparagus he ate.

Even weaning him at night hasn't done that much for his appetite, I guess. He doesn't get any unwatered milk at night, and during the day, he only gets milk at the end and beginning. So it seemed wise to let him tank up while he could. When we were done with brushing his teeth when he was done with the milk, John set him on his feet and he walked over to the couch, climbed up, and lay down. He snuggled in, and eagerly grabbed his bear when I handed it to him. I tucked a towel under his head, and tucked a blanket over him. He smiled, snuggled in and ten minutes later, he went to sleep.


He's getting better at this.

[ Previous | Next | Index | Mail ]

Copyright 2003 Liralen Li. All Rights Reserved.