previous next index

September 21, 2000
a year ago
two years ago

Fish Check, Sea Soup, and the Olympics

Crisp, clear day today. Like a good mid-West fall day, for once not too cold and not too hot, it's in the 60's and clear as a bell. Beautiful day. Of course, given the really lovely weather, Cary and Bob wanted to go to KT's; but my obstetrician only had the single slot open today, right by lunch, so I had to say no. John even skipped lunch at his lunch meeting in order to eat with me, and the two of us went to the little mall that the other KT's was at. I didn't really want BBQ, though, so we wandered into The Breadworks.

I really, truly wanted a ham and cheese croissant, and made a beeline, through a maze of twisty passages all alike, before I actually got to one. I got that, immediately, found a peach scone staring at me, so I got one of those, too. I think hunger gives me tunnel vision. John thought to find a drink for me, and I was feeling half-sick, so got a strawberry Monster C drink. I'd been told that Vitamin C wouldn't have adverse affects on the baby, so I didn't really think to worry until I realized the darned bottle had about 2000% of my daily requirement. That's a lot.

Though I didn't even see that until after I'd already swallowed the ham and cheese croissant. That's about when I noticed that they also served soups, salads, and sandwiches along with the bakery goods. Hm. Oops. I could probably have done with some vegetables. Part of the whole problem was that John had had an 8 o'clock meeting, so I hadn't really had a real breakfast, just one of the cinnamon rolls left from this last weekend. Sugar and white carbos do not a happy fish tank make. The glass of orange juice made the Tums go down okay, but the calcium was probably the only good thing I had with my breakfast. More C.

Anyway. The scone, the C, and the almost-sandwich were enough to calm my brain down, and I even noticed that there was a lot of interesting bread in the place. We bought a multi-grain rustic bread that looked really good and solid and took that with us.

The checkup went really quickly, took about fifteen minutes and mostly consisted of me donating more test fluids and the doctor hearing the fish's heartbeat and asking me if I had any questions. Turns out that in just the last two weeks, the uterus has moved up to have its top a little beyond my bellybutton and the embryo was playing around near the top of that, capable of kicking my tummy instead of just my bladder. I had been wondering if the flutters up near my stomach were just a case of indigestion or if the critter really was drumming my stomach. The only thing I really felt I needed, at this point, were more pre-natal vitamins. So I just asked her to give me another prescription as the ones from Conceptions ran out at the end of September, and she wrote one up immediately. That was about it. There were free samples of baby things at the appointment desk, along with a special edition of Fitness just for pregnant and post-partum moms, and I picked those up as they were mildly intriguing, especially the shopping section.

I also found out, during the check-up, that I'm not really gaining weight as quickly as is recommended. The doctor didn't panic or anything, or tell me that I was bad, she just suggested that I might want to eat more high-calorie, dense things like ice cream. I really don't have that much stomach space for any single meal; but her idea was pretty good. I think that some of the reason I'm having problems gaining weight is that I have been avoiding all high-sugar and really high-fat items because they were making me feel nauseated. Maybe it's time to try a few more of them again.

Nesting isn't supposed to be until the third trimester, but with all the work stress going on I've been buying things right and left. A few of the things are time-driven. Kathy's original birthday present never made it to her, so I bought it again (there was no record of my previous buy with a one-off site, so I went to Amazon, as I know they'll get it to her. Period.). I also got Geoff something for his birthday, today, and while I was at it I thought I might as well get my accumulated wish list off my Amazon to-be-bought-later list. One mother advised me to read all my baby books before the baby was born as I wouldn't have the time after, so I got a few baby advice books.

Amid all that I worked like crazy, too, and got further than I thought I would. Much further. I'm actually done with the core of the theoretical changes and the next thing I need to do is tweak and test and make it completely right. We'll see how that all goes tomorrow. If I can actually make things work satisfactorily tomorrow, I may not have to work this weekend. We'll have to see how that goes.

I got to a good ending point around 6:45, which was when John wanted to go. When we stepped outside, the clear, sunny day had turned into mist and rain. It was already dark out, too. As much from the clouds as from the angle of the sun. We'd eaten a late enough lunch that going to Safeway before going home wasn't a problem. We had to get chemo drugs for Fezzik as well as the pre-natals for me. Turns out that buying my vitamins, straight, was cheaper than my co-payment on my Aetna insurance. I was very glad I asked, and I just bought a bottle of 100 tablets as I knew that I'd go through them and it was easier to not have to refill it every month. Fezzik's drugs, however, they were out of, so we'll have to come back tomorrow.

With the cold weather I was craving beef stew and ramen, so we bought all the things I needed to make stew and had some of the ramen we'd bought at the Japanese store so very long ago along with the sliced BBQ pork we'd bought when we went to dim sum. I'm very grateful for the preservation properties of the refrigerator. I dumped a lot of clean spinach leaves into the ramen, and we also had pickled dikon. So some meat and veggies to go with the noodles. I am still mildly leery of the flavor packets in even the fresh ramen; but at this stage I can still eat them. Kathy's book on how to cook Japanese food has a good recipe for the soup part of ramen soup, so I might use that next time and I can control how much sodium gets into everything and I'll know, absolutely, that there is no MSG in any of it. I can add my own sesame oil, sesame seeds and other herbs or spices if I want to.

Penzey's has soup bases with no MSG and is relatively low in salt. I might even add those to a ramen soup, as the ramen noodles themselves are mostly just water and flour noodles with a bit of baking soda in them for the yellow color on cooking and the texture. I have the pasta maker/cutter, so I should be able to make them fairly quickly as well. It would be good to not have to rely on packets that are too salty and too MSG'y for my health as much as anything.

After dinner we watched the Olympics interspersed with the pickle episode of Good Eats. The pickles intrigued me, and they might be an interesting thing to try, though I've never been much into sour pickles, the sweet ones may be very interesting.

The Olympics. Hm. The very first thing that comes to mind is that NBC's coverage sucks rocks. It always has. It always will. They will never show just the competition without all the 'human interest stories', and, therefore, will never cover even a significant portion of the actual competition because too much time is spent on stuff that they add that adds nothing to the simple witnessing of the competitions themselves. They will also keep going on and on showing just the things that the US has a chance of 'winning' and give nearly all of the TV coverage only to the people that their analysts think will win a medal. They put so much emphasis on medal winning that it sometimes makes me angry.

That said...

One really wonderful surprise was the fifth heat of preliminaries for a 100 meter swimming race, where there were three people in the very last heat, and two of them got disqualified through double false starts. Oops. The third was someone from one of the developing countries who hadn't had to make the minimum qualifying time, simply to allow those athletes exposure to the Games themselves. And, on TV, they actually showed this guy swim his heat, alone. The amazing thing is that because of his background, he had had no facilities to really practice in, and had, in his home town, used the one hotel's swimming pool to practice. From watching him, it was obvious that he had never swum an entire 100 meters at a shot and on the half of a lap back to his starting point, he was really struggling simply to go the whole distance. He just made it. And when he made it the entire audience at one of the most sophisticated and fastest swimming complexes in the world gave him a standing ovation.

He deserved it.

Now that is what I think the Olympics are really about. I was so surprised that NBC actually *covered* it.

A local sports writer for the Denver paper was out in Australia covering things as well, and covering the real stories. The one he chose today included the East Timorese that were at the Olympics as 'independent athletes' because of Indonesia's contentions about the tiny country. Again, the athlete involved won simply by being there, not because they got bits of metal or anything even close. The E. Timor boxing guy was given his first pair of boxing gloves in order to actually be able to box, as he'd always just practiced with bare hands. He hadn't had the money to have gloves. Immediately after his bout, which he lost proudly, he gave the gloves to the charity that had given him the money, so that they could raise more money for others.

It's good for me to even know about such people.

[ Previous | Next | Index | Mail ]